PC makes noise like an automatic weapon

Teasle 17:30 10 Feb 06

Please could some kind person give me some advice?
Today my machine has completely frozen several times and at the same time makes a noise like a semi-automatic or soemthing very stuck and very unhappy. I can't do anything - not even ctrl alt del. I have run several spyware progams and Reg Mech. to repair the registry after it has done this. The repairs have been done to the cachepath/ temp internet files/cache1, 2, 3 and 4.
My pc had been freezing a lot yesterday so last night I did a restore, now I'm not only getting the freezing but the awful noise too.
I use W98se.

Fingees 17:37 10 Feb 06

Does the noise originate from the speakers or the computer.
That might help someone to diagnose

Teasle 17:40 10 Feb 06

The speakers I'm sure.

HXP 17:42 10 Feb 06

Sometimes the floppy drive can sound very much like that ?

Can you see Floppy light come on ?

Is there a CD/DVD in any of the drives same thing if a warped CD in the drive.

It has to be a mechanical noise so could be a wire on internal cooling fan blades ?

I would take the case off the machine and try and ' see ' where the noise is coming from - just don't touch anything in the case with power on.

HXP

Teasle 17:55 10 Feb 06

Thank you guys.
I'm sure the floppy disk light didn't come on and there is no disk in the drive but I do have a CD rom in one of the other drives so maybe that is what is making the noise.

But I still have a major problem with the freezing though, don't I? At times every 10 minutes or so.

woodchip 17:58 10 Feb 06

If the CD light is on all the time it will not let you do anything, try restart computer and remove the disc as it starts

HazyB 17:59 10 Feb 06

It could be your processor fan which has failed/or is failing. We had the same problem with a computer at work, especially with it freezing, but the sound was more like a racetrack!

Teasle 18:34 10 Feb 06

It just did it again and there was no light on on the disk drives but I was playing some music (mp3 files strored on my pc) through jetaudio at the time and I think the noise is the music getting stuck. Sorry if I misled you in my earlier threads. I do play my music a lot during the day but I didn't think it was every time it got stuck - but maybe it was.

But has this got anything to do with the temp internet files/cache1,2 etc repair messages?

HXP 18:02 12 Feb 06

For mp3's try winamp instead of jetaudio and see if freezing still happens - could be jet audio that is causing probs ?

grw 18:09 12 Feb 06

teasle,My pc sounded like a jumbo jet taking off and software slowed up. I discovered the tower was heavy with dust. After killing the mains supply, open case and gently vacuum out case and fans (dont disturb hardware) . It made a big

clock 20:42 12 Feb 06

As grw, - my PC sounds like a machine gun sometimes on start up, so I inspected the fans at the back of the tower. Covered in dust! Have arranged with my supplier to take it in and have new ones fitted, at a small charge.

Also notice on start up that CPU heat is 90C/195F at times but not consistent with the awful noise being present. Bit worrying though!

Be interesting to hear how you go on...

Clock

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…