PC losing time...

Xevious 15:01 29 Jul 03

if my pc is losing time, is it safe to say the battery on the motherboard needs replacing?

its not definitively the cause but most likely, changing the battery will only cost a pound or so and wont do any harm, just make sure you have all your BIOS settings written down on paper.
then if it still loses time then its time to think again. H.

Xevious 15:34 29 Jul 03

thx. stupid question, but do you only lose bios setting that have been manually configured, when you remove the battery?

ie if it's only default settings, will they be retained? surely if IDE components are set to auto, they should not need to be re-entered?

Xevious 16:20 29 Jul 03

bump

graham√ 16:26 29 Jul 03

Get a new one before you take the old one out. That way you shouldn't lose any settings when you change them over.

DieSse 16:39 29 Jul 03

If it loses time when the system is switched OFF - then it's probably the battery.

If it's losing time when the system is switched ON - then it's definately NOT the battery - it's a software issue.

The clock, when the system is switched on, is run by the operating system, not the battery.

accord 16:42 29 Jul 03

CMOS battery on your motherboard, probably a CR2032

nick_j007 17:40 29 Jul 03

Um, an amatuer guess here but might this be something to do with sync'ing the clock with an internet time server? It may not be set up correctly.

My help centre says a few para's, here's one:

If synchronization is enabled, your computer clock is synchronized with an Internet time server once a week. However, if you don't have a continuous Internet connection through a cable modem or DSL modem, the automatic synchronization might not always occur. In that case, you can force an immediate synchronization by clicking the Update Now button on the Internet Time tab in Date and Time in Control Panel. This tab is only available if your computer is not a member of a domain.

Hope this doesn't cloud the issue?

Nick

woodchip 17:43 29 Jul 03

You will not lose defaults

Xevious 18:42 29 Jul 03

ta thx to all

no it's not synchronising with a time server - i've disabled that...

i'll get a battery and have a bash...

thx for all your inputs!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…