PC locks for no apparent reason

elder 03:45 25 Jun 05

I am running Microsoft Office, Outlook Express 6 and AVG 7 (updated to yesterday) on Tiscali Broadband.

Within the last few weeks my computer has started to lock for no apparent reason. Control/Alt/Del has no effect, and the only way round the problem has been to switch off and start again. The latest occurence was shortly after I had Defragged and done a full sweep with AVG.

I should appreciate any suggestions, which please keep as simple as possible.

Elder

ICF 06:43 25 Jun 05

Have you done a check for spyware.

Try Ad-Aware it's free click here

Wak 09:02 25 Jun 05

Have you tried running the System File Checker??
What System! Win 98SE?? Win XP?

chris05 09:45 25 Jun 05

Try going into control panel then administrative tools then click event viewer on the left hand pane click system if you have red errors in their click on them (all entrys have a time and date so look for times near the last lockup)the box that comes up has a eventid once you have that go to this site

click here=

write in the eventid and see what comes up hope this helps :-)

elder 18:38 25 Jun 05

Thanks for the replies. I should have said I am running Windows 98.
I have downloaded Adware SE Personal which I have run, but have not yet got to the bottom of it

Chris05 - I can't find Admin Tools etc in Control Panel. Using FIND in the Start Menu I have been guided to Programs/Administrative Tools/Microsoft NET - framework wizards, but these do not seem to have any relevance.

Fingers crossed - since running Adware Se I have had no problems. Coincidence?

Elder

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…