PC Locks Up

Kiwi323 20:32 18 Nov 04

My PC locked up regularly some time ago and it was suggested that I had faulty RAM chips. I bought a matched pair and the system has been running well since, but...
it has now locked up as soon as it has booted up and I cannot use either the mouse or the keyboard. It has also locked up after being left alone for a while.
I have a ASUS m/bd with SCSI on board, SCSI CD-RW, SCSI DVD, SCSI HDD and an IDE HDD, P3 550MHz Slot 1 and 256MB RAM. IDE HDD is Boot disk, running Windows XP Prof.
If my m/bd is causing me problems, any suggestions which would allow me to continue use of current Storage units would be most welcome.

Technotiger 21:20 18 Nov 04

Hi, I had a similar problem a while back; do you have a cordless mouse? in my case it was the mouse that caused lock-ups. Changed mouse, no problems since. Just a thought.

Kiwi323 21:27 18 Nov 04

I have been using a cordless mouse and keyboard for some time - why should a problem just happen now? Is this a known problem with cordless units?

woodchip 21:34 18 Nov 04

You may have a IRQ conflict. you should first check Device Manager look at all items. You could also check "System Info" under Accessories\tools on the desktop

Technotiger 21:58 18 Nov 04

Not a 'known problem' as far as I am aware - just that the mouse was my problem, although not necessarily yours. I was very reluctant to lose my little pet, but not sorry now!! Good luck anyway.

Kiwi323 22:21 18 Nov 04

Thanks - I have checked all your suggestions but no conflicts found.

woodchip 10:29 19 Nov 04

Try this you can put it back if there is no change. But I read a thread where the PCI Dial-Up Modem was the problem. He removed it and that ended the problem

Kiwi323 00:32 20 Nov 04

I am willing to try this as I now use ADSL but I have not had the same problem for some time. If the thread remains open long enough, I'll let you know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…