//some 3rd party need geo

pc locking up help

LANDCRUISER 14:21 26 May 05

hi out there,please can you put some light as why my pc cpu shoot up 100% whenever i open any progam do i need to upgrade or can i adjust the bios or upgrade,the pc freezer up then after a while it start working ok.

Indigo 1 14:29 26 May 05

We will need a little more info about your PC like,

Which O/S

WHich Motherboard ?

Which CPU ?

How much RAM ?

What other programmes are running at the same time ?

LANDCRUISER 14:39 26 May 05

windows xp home service pack2 build 2600,1.67 gig amd athlon xp 128kil primary cache,256 kil secondary mem cache,asus a7v266-e rev1xx,1024meg memory, does this help

Indigo 1 12:16 27 May 05

Yes that helps.

Have you tried it in Safe Mode ?

Can you find out what other programs are running in the background and maybe shut some down ?

Have you scanned for Viruses and Spyware lately ?

LANDCRUISER 12:57 27 May 05

no i have no tried it in safe mode will try it, have got 6 anti spyware running ,no problems here, do you mean shutting down in windows task manager,there are a lot of processes runing here,do i have to keep shutting these down all can you stop them loading up every time you reboot,thanks for your help here.

Indigo 1 13:40 27 May 05

If you have one or more of the Anti-Spyware apps listed here click here then you should get rid of them straight away.

Open Task Manager and check which services or Applications are causing your CPU to run at full tilt and post the name here, anything you disable in TM will automatically start again when Windows starts so you will need to identify the runaway program and deal with it accordingly.

Have you tried it in Safe Mode yet ? Is there an improvement ?

LANDCRUISER 14:59 27 May 05

i tried it in safe mode & it helped,i noticed that some proceses like win logon exe was high 28396,svchost exe system 31536,exlorer 23784,spysub 40912 how can you fix these to use less

Indigo 1 15:18 27 May 05

It is not the memory usage that counts, it is the CPU use in percent that makes a difference.

Check again to see which one is causing the CPU to run at 100%, not including System Idle Process.

LANDCRUISER 15:21 27 May 05

how do you do this please

Indigo 1 15:34 27 May 05

In Task Manager, click on Processes then View then click Select Columns and a new window opens, select CPU Usage (tick the box) then click OK.

You should then see a column in Task Manager window under Processes titled CPU which will give the readings we are looking for.

If it is too quick to read, click View agan and select Update Speed and use a lower speed (low or normal should be OK).

You should then be able to scroll down to see which Process is using the most CPU power and see what happens when you open a program etc.

LANDCRUISER 15:50 27 May 05

well i did not know all this infor was here in volume there was only one reading that was high program down2home reading 14cpu all the other were 0 to 1 i closed it down then reopened it reading 2

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…