PC locking up

deadneat 08:18 04 Jul 03

A friends PC has probs. It wont start up, freezes in bios when I was checking. Removed all cards and cd drives. Put mem into other slot. Tried spare hard drive. On start with orig hard drive got message win prot error VXDMON. Any ideas?
Ram was reported ok but could this be the fault?
Win ME, 1G Athlon, 32 Mb Prophet 11MX 128Mb RAM.
The computer failed whilst he was running Adware spyware software. Any ideas?
Thanks

deadneat 10:07 04 Jul 03

????

Giant68 11:07 04 Jul 03

You say it freezes in BIOS. Were you in Bios or do you mean POST? vxd would be a device driver.

Giant68

deadneat 11:15 04 Jul 03

Er del to enter setup. Was checking settings etc but pc freezes. Seems to freeze at various stages on start up. Which device driver? I think it may be electronics overheating. Power supply seems stable. May be chip on Mb Gcard or ram.

Giant68 11:23 04 Jul 03

Can you enter ME in safe mode? Windows will then load a basic set of default drivers. Once in you maybe able to restore to a point where the machine was working.
Having put VXDMON into Google, a few pages have been thrown back which show that VXDMON is a monitor for virtual device drivers, and is a seperate freeware program. If you start windows in safe mode and run msconfig you may be able to disable it from the startup.

Giant68

deadneat 11:47 04 Jul 03

have inst diff Hd format with win 98se on nothing else. PC still freezes very soon after start.
I dont have a spare graphic card to swap out.
Any more ideas?

Giant68 15:43 04 Jul 03

You have ticked this thread as resolved????

Giant68

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…