PC locking up

welshdad 13:41 05 Aug 09

My PC keeps locking up, not sure if it the Windows Vista 32 bit system or the AOL 9.0 VR casuing the problem. When it locks I have to turn off at the mains (won't do a ctrl, alt, del)
which is obviously not good. How do I find out what's causing the problem and what's the corrective action. Also is there another safer way of shutting down.

woodchip 13:51 05 Aug 09

Check Event Viewer, to see if it picked it up

OTT_Buzzard 14:00 05 Aug 09

Holding the power button down for 4 to 5 secconds works on most PC's to shut them down forcibly.

As woodchip said, Event Viewer is a good place to start to find the root cause of the lockups.

Start Menu - Run or Search (depending on the preferences you have set) then type Eventvwr

Have a good look around the recorded events with times that coincide with a lock-up.

crosstrainer 14:25 05 Aug 09

Welcome to the forum!

Can you give details of your machine?

If you are unsure:

click here

Download and install the above (free)

Post back.

It will help us to help you :))

welshdad 08:44 07 Aug 09

I have found the Eventvwr but there is so much info that I am not sure which bits are relevant. I have also downloaded the Belarc programme and have loads of info on my PC but as I am new on the Forum I don't know how to post it back to you. Can I add the info as an attachment, if so how?
Thanks for the help so far

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:22 07 Aug 09

Copy and paste from Belec

But knowing your on XP all we need is :

Does it lock when always using same program or performing any specific action?

welshdad 10:58 07 Aug 09

So far it's been when on internet through explorer (not AOL 9.0 VR as I said earlier, though at at the moment that's the only time it is being used. So this may not necessarily be the issue

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…