PC Locked up

Janet-201707 14:14 28 Jan 07

I don't know quite why my man's PC locked up yesterday, he had just sent a message on Yahoo and checked his e-mails, he went to start menu to close it down and an error message came up to say it was having a problen closing a program (probably Bullguard), and froze, so he turned mains switch off. He returned a few hours later to turn it on again and it was not loading properly and came up with a black screen that was asking did he want to start using 'safe mode', 'safe mode with networking' or 'last saved settings'. We have gone through the choices, but PC refuses to start as usual. You see a quick small flash of the Windows XP Home screen, not it's full screen size, then after a few other screens it returns to the first page again. We have tried putting the Windows XP Home CD-Rom in drive to try to reload, but that won't work either. You get the blue set-up screen with a message that says 'Harddrive cannot be found'.

Anyone else encountered this situation or can offer any suggestions???

Many Thanks for any advice given

bikerlady

ed-0 14:21 28 Jan 07

When the computer starts and the first screen appears, try and pause it with the erm " pause " key on the keyboard.

Does it show details for

primary master drive

primary slave drive

secondary master drive

secondary slave drive.

If it does, what are the settings for the above.

OR

If this screen does not show. Enter the bios, usually by tapping the delete button as the computer starts. look in the first page, usually standard cmos settings. Are the above settings shown there?

Technotiger 14:23 28 Jan 07

Hi, you could try going into the BIOS to change the Boot sequence so that the pc should boot from CD. You could then try again with the XP CD. To get into BIOS hold Del during startup.

ed-0 14:30 28 Jan 07

No good.

" We have tried putting the Windows XP Home CD-Rom in drive to try to reload, but that won't work either. You get the blue set-up screen with a message that says 'Harddrive cannot be found'."

looks as if the hard drive is not being detected.

Technotiger 14:33 28 Jan 07

...that is why I suggested trying to boot from CD, rather than from HD, with the XP CD in drive.

ed-0 14:47 28 Jan 07

" .that is why I suggested trying to boot from CD,"

Thats what has already been tried, but there is no hard drive to write to. The disk won't load if the bios says there is no hard drive. hence the question about the IDE channels.

" " We have tried putting the Windows XP Home CD-Rom in drive to try to reload, but that won't work either. You get the blue set-up screen with a message that says 'Harddrive cannot be found'."

Technotiger 14:51 28 Jan 07

Hmmm, yes, afraid I'm a bit slow today ...

Technotiger 15:04 28 Jan 07

maybe it is time to get physical ... I would suggest that you try physically removing and refitting IDE and power cables to hard drive, then physically check that Memory sticks are securely fitted - that is for starters.

For future reference - if a similar situation arises, instead of switching pc off at mains, press ctlr/alt/del to turn off program, or press and hold on/off button on pc for four seconds to switch off.

Janet-201707 15:10 28 Jan 07

Hello again

Have just posted a reply but at the moment it is not on site.

Right I am in Bios looking at settings. The last one on page is Hard Disk S.M.A.R.T. (disabled), should that be ( Enabled) ???

Thanks

Technotiger 15:19 28 Jan 07

SMART, no, not needed.

Janet-201707 15:22 28 Jan 07

Hello Technotiger

Thanks for your reply

Looks like PC will have to be taken back to the people who built it.

Thanks for tying to solve this

Bikerlady

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…