PC-LINE CDR's wont "burn" (mainly)

AnthonyB 12:39 17 Nov 04

Hello,

I brought a pack of PC-line from PC world a while ago now, and out of the 100, I have only been able to burn about 12 CD's, though I still have some left I've not used. I use RECORD-NOW, and after many minutes of trying, the CD ejects with error logs etc. Now I brought some CDWR (rewritables) at the same time from PC world, and NEVER have probs with these. Could it be the CD's - or my CD writer not working fully correctly?.

Are PC-line not a good brand? (£29 per 100 at the time), and if so what CD's would one recommend? - perhaps ALL CDWR? Also Some Cd's that DID burn sucessfull , now give me errors like "cyclic redundancy check" etc - which means the the files on 3 CD's I saved are useless - and they were important too.

TIA

Anthony

Completealias 13:15 17 Nov 04

If you've burned fine with other branded cd's I'd be tempted 2 think that it could be those cds that are at fault.

Have you tried burning something that hadn't burned with those cds with another branded cd to see if its what you're copying from that is at fault? Although with that amount of failed cd's I'd think it was the cds.

Completealias 13:15 17 Nov 04

If you've burned fine with other branded cd's I'd be tempted 2 think that it could be those cds that are at fault.

Have you tried burning something that hadn't burned with those cds with another branded cd to see if its what you're copying from that is at fault? Although with that amount of failed cd's I'd think it was the cds.

Meshuga 13:52 17 Nov 04

Strange that this subject should come up now as I am having problems burning to PC-Line CD-RW discs. Some will, some won`t. Looks like we both might have some dodgy discs.Strange really because PC-Line is supposed to be an exclusive to PC World. I haven`t tried an alternative brand yet. Got an engineer coming on Friday so will wait to see what he comes up with before spending any more money.Regards, Meshuga.

MidgetMan 13:54 17 Nov 04

Had the samr problem, after getting constant burn failures using nero i threw them away and now use imition, no toasters at all. I think it is just the brand that are rubbish and a waste of money, although aoters may disagree.

ACOLYTE 13:59 17 Nov 04

This help click here

sounds like it could be the drive or the discs,or even the data you are copying.

AnthonyB 15:55 17 Nov 04

Yes, thanks all, and for the link Acolyte. Will try Imation I think, and CDWR's too, since most hi-fi's play them now (if your doing music that is). Is there any advantage between CDR's and CDWR's? - apart from the obvious? - or are they exaclty the same, save the CDWR are rewritable?

Also what happens to these cd's when I put them in (even blank ones) is that the light on the PC stays lit (cd light), and I can't access the Cd for 2 minutes or so. After then (CD's with data on) a click on a file leave me waiting another 2 mins before I can do anything - even small 5k files. some files will copy.retrieve to the hd, others won't (cyclic redundancy), so its not as if ALL the files don't work. Never had this problem on the "CDWR" ones though

Thanks

Anthony

Cook2 15:58 17 Nov 04

I no longer buy PC-Line blank CD's or their inkjet paper. Once bitten, twice shy.

Mind you, the paper is good for wrapping the 'coasters' up before putting them in the bin.

woodchip 16:00 17 Nov 04

Had one batch from PCworld and got my money back as they would not write. if you hold them up to the light you can see strait through them showing there is not much to write to on the CD's. I now use Data Write from Computer Fair

AnthonyB 16:04 17 Nov 04

What's the use though, of PC-line selling CD's in the first place if they don't work Cook2? It's like buying artificail fruit - expecting it to taste nice one day:)

There is one thing though, I never had any probs with them for the first few months after 10-15 disks or so), they all worked. I had a spell off the computer and started burning cd's again. I wonder if it has something to do with the way they are "stuck" together - all piled up like that. Because what sometimes helps be get a Cd to work (sometimes) is to rub the CD on my jumper and put it straight back in the PC - it shows more response - if it's not something you do everyday:)

Anthony

Cook2 17:06 17 Nov 04

What's the use though, of PC-line selling CD's in the first place if they don't work Cook2?

Exactly!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…