pc left on

plasticpig 16:34 11 Oct 03

As my pc is so slow to boot up would it do any harm to leave it turned on all the time.

MAJ 16:39 11 Oct 03

No, other than the added fire risk of leaving electrical equipment switched on.

MAJ 16:41 11 Oct 03

Of course you could speed up the booting process by removing unnecessary programs from msconfig. Start > Run, type msconfig, click the Startup tab and untick what you don't need.

Morpheus© 16:43 11 Oct 03

it will last longer if it is left on, mine has been running non stop for 2 years....

Djohn 16:46 11 Oct 03

No harm at all as said above, but would advise turning the monitor off to improve display life. j.

MAJ 16:46 11 Oct 03

Mine has been running for 4 years being switched on and off about eight times every day. Both ways work equally as well, it's just the added fire risk you need to worry about, not doing damage to the PC.

hugh-265156 16:47 11 Oct 03

i find it useful to switch it on when im using it :-)

saves on electric switching it off when im not.

NANNYRUCKSPIN 17:03 11 Oct 03

My pc is on 24/7 and has been for a few years with no harm done.

STEVE71163 19:08 11 Oct 03

I have left my pc on for the last few months and it runs fine. I have been told many times by pc engineers that it is better to just leave it on and just set your monitor to turn off after 10 mins of inactivity and my two hard drives are set to turn off after an hour of inactivity.

Belatucadrus 19:29 11 Oct 03

If you do leave it on, you must remember to get a surge protector for both mains and modem or risk having it toasted during the next electrical storm.

Personally I turn off, I've never had any problems and can't see the point of paying the power companies for the privilege of having my PC sit there doing nothing.

madPentium 21:24 11 Oct 03

This has confused me a bit. I thought win98 suffered memory management problems if left on too long? If I ran large games for example on my old 98 pc, I would have to eventually reboot to de-segment the memory?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…