Pc to Laptop via Ethernet ?

skidzy 19:17 28 May 06

Hello Forum

As i work from 2 locations with the laptop,is it possible to connect the laptop to the desktop in location (1) via ethernet.

Location (2) is set up via wireless modemrouter and no problems.

I am hoping to share the internet broadband connection at location (1) just for MS updates and downloads to the laptop.

Xp Home sp2 on all machines.

All advice is appreciated.

Thankyou skidzy

ade.h 19:30 28 May 06

Not a problem at all. I sometimes use my laptop to setup someone's network, connecting it to the router via cable, and it just works straight off.

skidzy 21:11 28 May 06

Thanks again Ade

This laptop will be connected to the desktop at location (1) there is no router,the speedtouch broadband modem is connected by usb to the desktop.Also this desktop is not wireless.

So if ive read correctly,you mean i can connect the ethernet cable from the desktop to the laptop and have instant connection to the internet ?

Would i have to create another connection ? such as a shared connection ?

The desktop and laptop both have ethernet connections.

Thanks again for your time Ade

ade.h 21:18 28 May 06

In location 1, you would need to enable ICS on that desktop, and on your lappy. Set up a new connection from the task pane of Network Connections for the most straightforward route.

skidzy 21:31 28 May 06

Cheers ade

Just as the research i had done says.
Thanks again your a star.

sunrise23 21:24 29 May 06

Hi everyone,

I would like to transfer all my files from a desktop (PC) to two laptops. How can I do that except "cross-over cable"? Does FTP work? Please advise me in detail.

Thanks a bunch-

skidzy 21:28 29 May 06

Sunrise,please start a new thread in Networking.
There you will get the best advice availble.

With you posting here is commonly known as hijacking some else's thread,this being mine will result in my email box getting your responses.

Hope this helps and good luck

Skidzy

sunrise23 21:32 29 May 06

Thanks Skidzy,

I mistakenly posted here and already posted a new thread soon after I realized it.

Thanks again.

skidzy 21:36 29 May 06

No Problem Sunrise,good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…