PC & Laptop access on home network

Admiral Allstar 19:00 28 Aug 06

Hi

I have a wireless home network with a pc, canon ip5200r printer and a sony viao sz2xp laptop connected via a netgear DG834G v3 router. The network is encrypted to WPA-PSK standards.

My query is - can someone access my pc or laptop even though they are excluded from my network?

My thought process for thinking this is that the router is encrypted but perhaps the pc and laptop arent??

ade.h 19:02 28 Aug 06

No, they can't basically.

FelixTCat 19:07 28 Aug 06

Admiral,

WPA encryption encrypts the wireless connection between the pc and the router, i.e. the network connection. For an outsider to access your pcs they would have to join the network either by connecting an ethernet cable to your router or by connecting wirelessly to your router. Unless they know your WPA key, they cannot connect wirelessly to your network.

Of course, anyone who can physically access your pcs can get any data they want...

Regards,

Felix

Admiral Allstar 19:12 28 Aug 06

many thanks

i am new to networking and wasnt sure if the encryption applied to all points of the network as, say, my laptop, chooses to join the network.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…