PC to Laptop

RubyTuesday 16:26 11 Feb 03

Hi people...I'm getting a laptop tomorrow and want to know (step by step!) how to transfer all the content of my PC to my new Laptop. I have a "Parallel Laplink Cable" but haven't the foggiest idea of how to do the transfer. I have been told that any Programs on my PC cannot be transferred...they have to be downloaded again to the Laptop. Is this correct? I would be so very grateful for any help you can give me.

stlucia 16:40 11 Feb 03

You need the Laplink program as well as the cable. When it's installed on both machines, it will take you step by step through the transfer process. But you might have a problem if the two machines are using different versions of Windows.

Generally speaking, programs need to be installed on your new computer -- not just copied from the old one.

RubyTuesday 16:54 11 Feb 03

Thanks for your speedy reply! My PC is Windows 98 and new laptop will be Windows XP!! If this will lead to problems, am I up the river without a paddle?? Also where would I get the "Laplink Program"?

wee eddie 21:57 11 Feb 03

Programs will need to be loaded from their origional CD's.

Why not just copy all the files from your back-up.

If no back-up!

Copy files to a CD or Zip disk and transfer them.

Cable links are really only important when you are using both computers and need to syncronise them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…