PC to Laptop

scott1358 23:18 21 Dec 05

OK this may make me sound thick but I don't know anything about the topic.

I have just got a new laptop and want to transfer everything from my old PC onto it. I bought a 'cross over' cable but what do I do next?

mgmcc 00:41 22 Dec 05

Connect the crossover cable directly between the network adapters in the two PCs. Open the Network Connections folder in the first PC, right click the Local Area Connection and select Properties. Highlight the entry for "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click the Properties button.

Click "Use the following IP address" and enter:

IP address - 192.168.0.1

Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

The other entries can be left blank as there is no internet access involved. In the second PC, allocate the IP address 192.168.0.2 with the *same* Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0

Set any folders that you want to have available over the network as "shared" by right clicking and seleting the Sharing & Security option. Set at least one folder as "shared" in each PC to help getting them communicating.

Normally any firewall software has to be configured to allow access to the networked computers, but if you are not connected to the internet when transferring files, any firewall can be temporarily disabled.

scott1358 15:48 30 Dec 05

ok, so i've done the above - how do i transfer files from the pc to laptop?

mgmcc 16:11 30 Dec 05

<<< how do i transfer files from the pc to laptop? >>>

When you open "My Network Places" and expand the folder tree, you should see the "remote" PC's shared folder(s).

Files are "dragged & dropped" or "copied & pasted" between computers in exactly the same way as between folders in the "local" PC.

scott1358 16:18 30 Dec 05

this isn't happenig as all i am seeing under my network places is the laptop on the laptop and the pc on the pc - i cant see the other computer on either.

they are connected by a cross over cable and i have set the my documents folder on each to shared. the ip address is as above. yet i still cannot access the other computer - where have i gone wrng?

mgmcc 16:48 30 Dec 05

Are both computers in the SAME Workgroup? Right click "My Computer", select Properties then the Computer Name tab to enter a Workgroup name. If using Windows' default name, replace it with a name of your own.

Do you have any firewall software installed and did you configure it to allow LAN traffic through?

In "My Network Places", try using the Search option to look for the remote PC, either by its name or by its IP address.

scott1358 17:26 30 Dec 05

both are in the samw workbook, and both firewalls have been disabled.

i have tried to ping the laptop from the pc and was successful, but it keeps timing out from the laptop to pc.

mgmcc 18:06 30 Dec 05

Firewalls are strange things, it is often better to configure them to allow access to networked computers rather than to disable them. They can have processes running in the background that still cause problems even though you think they are fully disabled.

scott1358 18:33 30 Dec 05

ok so i can now see my pc in the 'laptop' work, though not vice versa. when i click on it it says i do not have access, ask permission from administrator etc etc

mgmcc 20:36 30 Dec 05

If the PC which is blocking access is running XP *PRO*, have a look at this page relating to client access - click here

jaykay_28 18:30 31 Dec 05

My laptop can ping my pc. And my pc can ping my laptop, but either computer is not in network places.

My laptop runs win2000 pro, and my home pc runs winxp pro.

Any ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos