PC keeps switching off

griffo 06:29 23 May 06

One of my PC's has started to switch power off about 3 - 5 seconds after switching on. I initially tried a new kettle lead and that worked but it is doing it a lot now, whichever lead I use. Is the CPU on it's way out or what?

griffo 06:32 23 May 06

sorry, I meant PSU!!

€dstowe 06:42 23 May 06

Random shutdowns are frequently caused by overheating of vital parts (CPU) which shuts itself down to avoid its own demise.

Check very carefully inside the computer case that it is not bunged up with dust and dirt and that, even in the short time it is switched on, that the CPU fan actually operates.

If these appear to be OK then, yes, suspect the PSU but normally these fail completely (and sometimes spectacularly) rather than behaves in the way you are experiencing.

griffo 06:51 23 May 06

This problem exists at start-up when the PC is cold. It's tried to start 3 times this morning.

griffo 06:58 23 May 06

I should add that, once it's going it keeps going. Actually, it's just started on about the 6th attempt!! Need to find the fault before it dies completely.

ed-0 07:01 23 May 06

has mentioned. Also check all the connections from the psu, especially to the motherboard.

Surely this is worth checking before you go out and spend some money on a new psu?

griffo 07:17 23 May 06

I will check all you have suggested, thanks. It still seems strange that changing the kettle leads seems to make a difference though??

The Old Mod 07:35 23 May 06

Hi, agree with above checking, but have you made sure that the wall socket outlet is ok? Worth a check.

griffo 07:37 23 May 06

I have two leads running from two different wall sockets, so I don't think it's that but thanks for the thought.

€dstowe 07:58 23 May 06

"This problem exists at start-up when the PC is cold. It's tried to start 3 times this morning."

It only takes a very short time for a non-cooled CPU to reach self destruct temperatures.

namtas 08:02 23 May 06

If all the power sockets are ok, including the connections inside the plug top, I would suspect a power supply problem. Other things to check would be faulty/loose connection inside the computer or a board not seated fully.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…