PC keeps shutting down - virus suspected

gspence 14:39 25 Mar 08

My lap top shuts down almost immediately after logging on. A message appears 'Driver has been over-run by a stack-based buffer'. Shortly before this began, I received a warning about possible infection by a Trojan virus. I have gone into safe mode to remove recently installed software and have found one folder I don't recognise. It appears to be empty but may contain hidden files. Whe I try to open it or delete it I get an 'access denied' message. I've tried system restore to an earlier date but it keeps failing.

Can anyone suggest what I can do to fix it? Many thanks in advance.

xania 14:46 25 Mar 08

What virus checker are you using and what does it report? What OS?

gspence 14:50 25 Mar 08

It's Norton, though I'm ashamed to admit it's not up todate. It reports nothing, and I'm not sure how I got a warning message telling me I may have been infected by Trojan. The OS is Windows XP.

xania 15:39 25 Mar 08

Before you can do anything, get your Norton up-to-date. Then run a complete scan on your entire system and let us know what problems remain.

gspence 15:40 25 Mar 08

Thanks for the advice. Sorry if this is a daft question but presumably I can get up to date Norton on disk and load without the PC shutting down (I can't get on to the internet at present).

Many thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:58 25 Mar 08

My lap top shuts down almost immediately after logging on

Blaster worm?
select Start|Run, then type:

shutdown -a

to abort the shutdown.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:12 25 Mar 08

My lap top shuts down almost immediately after logging on

Blaster worm?
select Start|Run, then type:

shutdown -a

to abort the shutdown.

xania 08:50 26 Mar 08

No. You need to be on-line to download. However, if it is Blaster worm then click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now