pc keeps shutting down for no reason

bumpkin 10 Jun 12
Answered

Hello all, I have a pent4 with XP Pro. It keeps shutting down for no apparent reason; May be 15mins or 2hours then it just dies as if the power turned off.

Ray

rdave13 10 Jun 12

Could be your desktop is dust clogged and it then overheats. Disconnect power mains and all the auxiliaries from USB ports, ps/2 etc. Remove the side and inspect the internals. If you see dust clogging up cooling fins etc., then use a new small paint brush and gently brush away the dust while holding a vacuum nozzle not far away but not to near either.

See if it makes a difference.

bumpkin 11 Jun 12
Answer

thanks Dave, I vacuumed the inside of it about a week ago so all looked well. What I did not do was pull off the fan and look at the heatsink. The heatsink was so clogged up with dust, no wonder it was overheating. Thanks for your advice I think this will solve things now that I have cleaned it.

Ray

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Encore creates eerie effects for Spielberg's new TV show The Whispers

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message