Pc keeps shutting down at Log on Screen, HELP!

HandyAndy5535 15:46 28 May 07

Hi,

Can anyone help with the following. My mates Pc keeps on closing down as soon as it gets to the log in screen of the user and restarts and basically won't go any further. I personally had a similar problem which was due to the wrong type of memory but he hasn't added anything to the computer since new. It's a Compaq presario running Windows XP and if it comes down to Re-Installing Windows XP then that's fine but there is a lot of Pictures that his daughter has and we need to get into them somehow to get them off as she desperately wants to keep them all.

Any help is much appreciated guys.

Thanks, Andy

SANTOS7 15:54 28 May 07

Symptoms point to PSU failure, a fair test would be to install a diferent PSU first and try again

HandyAndy5535 16:19 28 May 07

Any idea how i can get into it and get all the pictures and personal files off first though as they don't want to lose any of them?

VoG II 16:22 28 May 07

Could be click here

Or repair XP click here

spex75 16:23 28 May 07

Could possibly be an overheating problem! Go into BIOS and watch the CPU temp. No need to reinstall XP just yet - sounds more like hardware outside of HDD

SANTOS7 16:31 28 May 07

try the software issues as per VoG™'s link first, while you are doing this your data will be safe

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced