PC keeps shutting down 4-5 seconds after power up (even when booted outside the case)

shnndr 21:04 16 Oct 14

Hello!

I really need some advice with this. I've built a custom PC couple weeks ago and just recently when I tried to power up, it shut itself down after a few seconds. Fans inside the case work (GPU, CPU and case fan) before it shuts down.

I've tried the following: - boot only with CPU installed (even tried doing it outside the case), and with various levels of components installed

• tested voltages on power supply with a multimeter (all were in normal intervals)

• flash BIOS by removing battery for 1 minute

• check power button cable for problems

• rewire everything

I have tried everything I am capable of. Please, can you guide me towards which component may cause this issue, because I really don't know what else to do... Thank you!

Build:

MB: Asus M5A97 Evo R2.0

CPU: AMD FX 8350

GPU: Sapphire ATI Radeon R9 280

PS: Corsair CX600M (600W)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb

Case: Antec VSK-4000E

DVD-RW: Samsung

Monitor: BenQ VW2245Z 21.5 inch (through DVI)

Wireless card: TP-Link TL-WDN4800

wee eddie 22:58 16 Oct 14

Possible overheating.

What compound did you put between the CPU and it's Heatsink.

shnndr 08:36 17 Oct 14

wee eddie

The heatsink came with a solid thermal "pill" on it.

shnndr 08:36 17 Oct 14

wee eddie

The heatsink came with a solid thermal "pill" on it.

onthelimit1 09:56 17 Oct 14

If only a few seconds, unlikely to be overheating. Sounds more like PSU to me - even if the voltages are correct, it may be failing when under load.

shnndr 10:37 17 Oct 14

Thank you onthelimit1. That is my guess as well, given that it worked for 2 weeks and then suddenly stopped working. No other component had any reason to fail, as I haven't overclocked anything and haven't moved the PC, so the only possible reason to me would be that the power source failed. It may be that I need a more performance oriented one.

bumpkin 11:38 17 Oct 14

Check for a damaged USB port just in case that is tripping out the PSU.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:52 17 Oct 14

if the heat compound has failed then shutting down in 2-3 seconds is expected. same would happen if CPU fan didn't run.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…