pc keeps shutting down :-(

discodaz 15:00 16 Sep 08

for the past few months my pc has had a mind of its own,i try and do anything a bit to stressful for it (ie burn a cd or run more than 1 programme) it just reboots! i have read a few threads off here and tried the advise but i dont really know a great deal about these,its all clean ect...

i have saves the data off the monitor but its all foreign to me!! can anyone help?

cheers

Darren.

Graham. 15:24 16 Sep 08

Open System in Control Panel.

On the Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.

Under System Failure, select the check boxes that correspond to the actions you want Windows to perform if a Stop error occurs:

Write an event to the system log specifies that event information will be recorded in the system log.

Send an administrative alert specifies that your system administrator will be notified.

Automatically reboot specifies that Windows will automatically restart your computer.

Select 'write an event', untick the reboot option.

Now you will get an entry in Event Viewer which should indicate the source of the problem.

discodaz 16:08 16 Sep 08

i have done as instructed,the last time it shut down i ran the hwmonitor and these are the readings i am getting :-

Winbond W83627HF hardware monitor

Voltage sensor 0 1.65 Volts [0x67] (CPU VCore)
Voltage sensor 1 1.79 Volts [0x70] (AUX)
Voltage sensor 2 3.26 Volts [0xCC] (+3.3V)
Voltage sensor 3 5.05 Volts [0xBC] (+5V)
Voltage sensor 4 11.86 Volts [0xC3] (+12V)
Voltage sensor 5 -11.79 Volts [0x26] (-12V)
Voltage sensor 6 -5.10 Volts [0x34] (-5V)
Temperature sensor 0 43°C (109°F) [0x2B] (TMPIN0)
Temperature sensor 1 64°C (146°F) [0x7F] (TMPIN1)
Temperature sensor 2 78°C (171°F) [0x9B] (TMPIN2)
Fan sensor 1 4891 RPM [0x45] (FANIN1)

Technotiger 16:31 16 Sep 08

It would appear that your shut-downs are due to over-heating. You may need to open up your case and make sure that the inside and especially all the fans, are clean and clear of dust and fluff etc. Also make sure that the computer is in a clear air flow all around.

discodaz 17:55 16 Sep 08

to stop the problem my pc currently has no sides on it at all! (its pretty much the bare case!!) looking at the temp readings i assume its the temp sensor 2 thats causing the problem,does anyone know where this is?

howard64 18:04 16 Sep 08

have a look inside and see that all fans are actually rotating. Some fans are only about £6 and can fail.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:14 16 Sep 08

Check all fans running.

with PC shut down
Scrape the crud off the fan blades
Clear all fluff from grills
clear muck from fins on heat sink
may even be worth removing PU and hetsink and cleaning off old thermal paste and renewing paste.

Technotiger 18:52 16 Sep 08

A computer runs hotter with the sides off! A through-flow of air normally in at the front, out at the back is best, hence case fans which normally do this job. I would advise you to re-fit the sides soonest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…