PC KEEPS SHUTTING DOWN

Yorkie156 18:56 10 May 07

I am running Win XP Pro and for some reason I have a problem that has just started recently. Whilst on the internet my machine just closes for no reason at all. I have done a full virus scan and still it keeps happening. It doesnt happen all the time but is annoying. Any body got any ideas on how to solve this. Thanks in advance

Gongoozler 19:14 10 May 07

Right click on "My Computer", select Properties - Advanced - Startup and Recovery - Settings. Remove the tick from "Automatically restart. Then if the shutting down is software related you should instead get an error message. If you don't it could be a hardware problem, possibly overheating.

Gongoozler 09:19 11 May 07

Another simple check to make. Have a look at the fans in the PSU and on the CPU heatsink. If either of these has stopped the computer is likely to shut down to protect itself from overheating. Shutting down only on the Internet is unlikely to be heat related though. Last year I repaired a computer that constantly crashed while on the Internet and this turned out to be due to faulty memory.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…