PC keeps shutting off

SeanTT 16:19 26 Feb 08

My PC keeps shutting itself off without any apparent reason to.
It doesn't seem to have a pattern of switching off(like only when i start AIM or something)

But once it shuts off once, I have to leave it for 5-10 minutes before I can use it again, because if I don't then it will keep shutting off once windows xp is loading.

I have tested spyware, virus and have a firewall. Already re-installed windows but no luck, that why I think it's a hardware problem. I have made sure that everything on the board is pushed in properly.
I have taken my NVidia graphics card out and tried the on board graphics, and that doesn't work.

I know this is vague but it's all I got.

Any ideas or solutions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Totally-braindead 16:28 26 Feb 08

Because you have to leave it for a while I would suspect overheating.

Get rid of all the dust inside with a clean, dry brand new paint brush - carefully when switched off so nothing gets damaged and then check all the fans.

Then see what happens.

Don't run it for long periods with the case sides off either as that can affect the airflow and make it run hotter.

skidzy 16:46 26 Feb 08

As Totally-braindead says.

Have you removed the cpu at all ? if so,did you replace the thermal paste ?

This will be a matter of elimination,post back if all fans are clear from dust and grime etc.

Demora 16:55 26 Feb 08

Also sounds as if the PSU might be getting old. Mine used to do the same thing until I bought a 500w beast with 2 fans in it.

D

SeanTT 17:05 26 Feb 08

Well I don't want to admit this but I have been running it with one of the sides off for a month or two. I'll put it back on, see what happens.

Although there is a lot of dust inside?!

Thanks for the quick repponses

Totally-braindead 17:09 26 Feb 08

Clean out the dust and put the case sides back on and then see what happens.

I know it sounds weird but PCs rely on airflow to cool them hence running with the sides off can make them run hotter as the cooler air isn't dragged across the components cooling them and then getting the warm air expelled out the back. And running with the sides off would also mean that it might get dustier quicker. And dust buildup is very bad for cooling.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac