PC keeps running out of resources

Newuser2 22:18 24 Apr 04

I'm having trouble as the resources etc keep running very low & the PC keeps stopping or freezing up.
I've run scan disc & I've defragged the HD but it made no differance.
I'm runing ME on a 500 P111. with 512 of ram.
Free ram at any one stage is around the 200+ mark.
I sure I've seen referances to probs with ME not releasing resources etc.
Any help will be much appreciated.

woodchip 22:23 24 Apr 04

Go to the start button run and type msconfig go to starup tab and remove all tickes exept System tray Anti-Virus and Firewall then retry your comp

Newuser2 22:50 24 Apr 04

woodchip.
Thanks for your reply.
PC runs much faster & the available ram has increased to 280+.
There were a lot of programmes on the statup menu that I didn't even know about.
If I go thru the list & tick the progs I need at startup & gradually eliminate the progs I don't need. I also noticed a tab for cleanup, I assume this would remove any unticked progs from starting.

woodchip 23:01 24 Apr 04

I would leave the cleanup alone

GaT7 01:33 25 Apr 04

In order to conserve resources try not running too many programs at once &/or having too many browser windows open at the same time (you probably know this already!). Also see - click here.

I would definitely re-tick the essential 'ScanRegistry' in Msconfig\Startup. Also 'SchedulingAgent', which could be important according to your setup/needs, & uses negligible resources anyway.

Use RegCleaner for a convenient way of 'cleaning' the Startup items AND saving a (easy restorable) backup - click here to download.

Newuser2 15:55 25 Apr 04

Thanks for all your help.
I'll do a detailed check on what is loaded at startup.
Some of the entries refer to software that I unistalled long ago.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…