PC keeps running CD rom

hawthorn59 21:48 02 Jun 04

Hi All

I have a few minor problems at the moment, but I will post them seperately!

When I turn on my PC it sometimes tries to open the cd rom in the drive (happens to be PC advisor cd !) even though I didnt ask it to.

This evening it opened up the CD and I duly clicked on Exit, and the cd closed, but the CD kept very noisily whirring, as if it was still trying to access it. I had to eject the disk.

Loaded up again and it did the same thing, but eventually stopped.

This might be connected with one of the other problems, so here it is:

This is a strange one. I hear a fairly loud whining or groaning noise from the PC and it seems to happen at regular intervals. One night I monitered it and it came EXACTLY every 10 minutes. Its not the Hard Drive as I installed a new one, and its still groaning! It appears to be either the CD or DVD, I would think maybe the CD.

The PC is a NEW Dell P4 2.8, 512 Ram etc.

I phoned Dell and the guy couldnt figure it out but said he had heard other people report the same thing!! I wonder is it the CD drive?

Thanks!

KC

stalion 21:55 02 Jun 04

if it is a new pc would it not be best to let dell sort it under guarantee.Regards

VoG II 22:13 02 Jun 04

Agree with stalion.

However, re (1) are you saying that you are starting-up with a disk in the drive? If CDROM is set as the first boot device in the BIOS this may explain things. Solution - remove the disk before you shut down.

stalion 22:21 02 Jun 04

also are you saying this is a new pc and you have already had to install a new hard drive?

VoG II 22:23 02 Jun 04

Well spotted.

stalion 22:29 02 Jun 04

hi noticed you were very busy on here bank holiday monday how much you getting an hour I'm on zilch lol

VoG II 22:30 02 Jun 04

ditto. The big 0 :o)

woodchip 22:32 02 Jun 04

Me hear reading

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…