PC keeps restarting itself

jules1315 10:06 11 Nov 03

I have a PC with Jetway 663AS Ultra mobo,1ghz Athlon processor,voodoo banshee 16mb graphics card, 256mb RAM and 40gb hard drive running win98se. The problem is it keeps restarting itself or freezing randomly. I have changed the PSU and processor fan and also changed over the graphics card with a Geforce 2 but it did the same. Any ideas what might be causing this?

Diodorus Siculus 10:13 11 Nov 03

Well, another option may be the RAM - is it in two sticks? If so, try removing one and see how it goes; if no change, return that one and remove the other and see what happens.

jules1315 10:38 12 Nov 03

I have tried changing the 2 RAM sticks around but it still freezes and shuts down with no error messages. It even freezes when in the BIOS.

Xevious 10:47 12 Nov 03

what temps are you running at?

jules1315 11:54 12 Nov 03

the temps are about 102 for the processor and 85 for system temp.

Mat2 18:54 12 Nov 03

Hi Jules1315

The answer to your problem is the processor is shutting itself down to stop any damage occuring it it. The temp. the althon should run at is approx 42C. The reason for this could be down to an incompatibility between the proccessor and the motherboard, i have the same situation with an AMD Athlon 1800XP+ with the PCChips 810 motherboard i changed the motherboard to a Jetway V266B motherboard and the problem went away.

Xevious 09:58 13 Nov 03

try using a decent CPU fan, such as the coolermaster aero4 lite. it works very well. also use good thermal paste...

as Mat2 stated, your temps are WAY too high, it's no wonder it reboots all the time... you could have fried eggs on it!!! lol

jules1315 11:44 13 Nov 03

Not sure if the figures I stated are degrees C or Farenheit but I take your point about the cooling. What happens is the screen goes black and the orange light comes on the monitor but the fans and light are still running on the system. Would this still point to a cooling problem?

Xevious 12:03 13 Nov 03

if it's farenheit then it's about what it should be.

have u tried another VGA card?

rotate 12:09 13 Nov 03

I have just had the same problem with my PC shutting down randomly. The problem with mine was the power pack had gone faulty. It would shut down and reboot but the fans would appear to keep running. Also the monitor light would turn orange and then back to green again. Having put in a new power pack all is fine again. Have you a spare power pack to try?

jules1315 13:02 13 Nov 03

I have replaced the power pack and the CPU fan but I havent tried a different graphics card since changing those two components so I'll try another card again I think

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…