PC Keeps Restarting

s99Raj 15:11 20 Sep 04

I've just installed a new motherboard, and configured the BIOS to recognise the hard drive, which it seems to do OK. However, the machine just keeps restarting after the initial black screen with writing on it. It gets to asking me whether I want to start in Safe Mode or Normally etc. but no matter what option I choose, it will always restart and go back to the same point.

The hard drive still contains the OS (XP) I had with the older motherboard. Do I have to format the hard drive and re-install XP?

Noleg24 15:19 20 Sep 04

since you have gone into BIOS to make sure the mobo is recognising all the other bits of hardware you may need to reinstall XP. I am not surprised really but what motherboard is it and what was the old one? also what other bits of hardware do you have in the system? maybe its more a case of them not being compatible with each other...so list all the hardware you have in the PC and we maybe able to help more...but it could be needing the OS to be reinstalled but lets not do that yet.

s99Raj 15:39 20 Sep 04

I can't now remember what the other mobo was since it had burnt out after lightning. the new one is an ASRock P4VT8+.

The other bits of hardware are the usual floppy drive, a DVD drive, a CD Rewriter, the hard drive and a GeForce FX5200 D128M graphics card in the AGP slot. The othe five PCI slots are empty. All of these seem to be recognised by the BIOS and are listed as the computer starts up.

s99Raj 15:44 20 Sep 04

I've just noticed that after I press Start Windows Normally then on the screen for literally about a quarter of a second (i.e. a quick flash) the screen is blue with white writing at the top - the same sort of stuff you get under the "blue screen of death" or whatever people call it. There's no way I can stop to read it.

Noleg24 15:53 20 Sep 04

if you hit the Pause/Break key (next to the Scroll Lock key) fast enough you might be able to read it...but what memory do you have as you didnt mention this? in other words the amount in RAM and the speed like PC2100 (266MHz), PC2700 (333MHz) or PC3200 (400Mhz)?

Noleg24 15:54 20 Sep 04

also processor does it take?

s99Raj 16:12 20 Sep 04

There's one memory module in there. The chips are labelled V58C2256804SAT6 which I think is a DDR333 module 256 MB.

The processor is a Pentium 4 2.4 GHz.

I can't hit the Pause/Break key fast enough to see what's on the blue screen.

s99Raj 16:47 20 Sep 04

Should I just format the Hard Drive?

pc moron 17:32 20 Sep 04

You could double check that the cables/cards are firmly connected.

You could try solution 2 (steps 3 to 7) at click here

If you can't start in Safe Mode with just a Command Prompt, then whatever's causing the reboot is happening early in the boot process.

If I were you I'd just do a format and clean install.

s99Raj 17:37 20 Sep 04

I think I'll do just that. Reformat and do a clean install.

Taw® 18:39 20 Sep 04

Just had to replace a HDD on my daughters computer giving the identical symptoms as yours. While your HDD may be ok it could be that the cables may need checked to see if they are fully home.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…