PC KEEPS REBOOTING ON SHUT DOWN

Juba. 18:14 11 Feb 09

Windows XP pro 2002 SP3

Recently I have been having a problem with shutting down my PC, when I go to Start > Shut down and then click OK to shut the PC down it reboots up again.

The PC goes through the process of shutting down, but does not switch off. It just boots back up. The only way I can turn the PC off is by pressing the power switch at the back of the unit to turn it off.

The problem started 2 days back; I don’t think it’s because of SP3 as I have had it for sometime.

Please could you give some advice?

mfletch 18:20 11 Feb 09

Hi

Try this it will stop the computer from restarting,

Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under “Startup & Recovery,” click Settings. Under “System Failure,” uncheck the box in front of “Automatically restart.”

The cause will most probably be a driver problem

mfletch 18:22 11 Feb 09

Forgot to say make sure nothing is pluged into the USB when you shut it down eg Camera/Card reader

Juba. 18:38 11 Feb 09

sorry to say but thats no good, now when I shut down it goes to a blue screen and does a memory dump,

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:12 11 Feb 09

Check your power saving options in both windows and the BIOS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…