PC keeps rebooting

jtt 13:27 03 Mar 04

My PC has XP home. I have AVG anti-virus (last updated yesterday) and use the XP firewall. It worked fine until last night when when it ran very slowly. I tried to shut it down, but it didn't do anything. Eventually I turned the mains off.

When I turned it on again, after the normal black screen tests (memory, etc) it says that something went wrong previously and asks to choose between Safe mode, command line, normal windows, etc. No matter which of these I choose, after a while, the Windows XP screen appears for a few seconds in VGA mode, then a blue message flashes for a fraction of a second (saying something like there was a problem and to protect the filing system it will reboot, it's tricky tring to read something that lasts for such a short while!) then it boots again, but the same problem occurs.

I will try booting from the Windows CD when I get home, but what should I do then?

Also, could a virus have caused this?

hugh-265156 13:38 03 Mar 04

download and run stinger click here

get any critical updates click here there is a patch for this here too.

hugh-265156 13:41 03 Mar 04

ps.it may not be a virus but its worth checking just in case.

a friend once shut down thier computer by hitting the off switch while it was in the process of defragging and had a similar problem on start up.

hugh-265156 13:57 03 Mar 04

just re read your above.

if you cannot even boot into safe mode and recovery console is one of the start up choices available to you click here if not click here

medicine hat 13:57 03 Mar 04

Better check out the Recovery Console click here

jtt 15:04 03 Mar 04

Thanks. Do you have any advice on what I should do when I'm in the Recovery Console (I haven't tried yet since I'm not at home at the moment). Should I do a chkdsk?

medicine hat 13:24 04 Mar 04

How are you getting on? Chkdsk does tend to sort out problems that are recoverable. Use the /r switch to recover readable information, and then leave it alone for several hours :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…