PC keeps re-booting

Pikachu 17:42 17 Feb 05

I need help with a relatives PC, I thought it might have been the harddrive but i have replaced a new one and problem still exists.

The issue is that when he is using his PC for say 10 - 15 mins it reboots - he then has to leave it off for bout 15 minutes in order for it to boot back into Windows.

I thought it might have been a virus so re-installed Windows with all updates but no luck it keeps re-booting, its also got an anti-virus software.

Its running an ECS Motherboard K7SOM click here Not the best board it terms of upgrades :(

It does give me an error during re-install of Windows in relation to some vga file missing I think it could be a problem with the graphics. Would this cause a reboot?

Even when installing applications just reboots on me and its a real headache when trying to fix this machine.

Thanks for all responses

VoG II 17:45 17 Feb 05

Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under Startup & Recovery click Settings. Under System Failure untick the box in front of Automatically restart.

The next time you should see an error message instead of it rebooting by itself.

FelixTCat 17:47 17 Feb 05

It is possibly overheating. Take the case off and watch the processor cooling fan. Is it running? Also, check the air outlet from the psu - you should be able to feel the air blown out by the fan.

Also, check that the memory units are properly seated. If they are a bit loose, they may disconnect when they warm up

Pikachu 17:59 17 Feb 05

Thanks VoG - I'll try what you have suggested.

FelixTCAt - The memory is in correctly and the psu seems to be ok. The CPU heatsink does have a lot of dust will this cause a reboot?. The temp does occasionally be high but not sure how to reduce it, its only a 1.2ghz Duron processor. How can I check the temp within windows is there software that will do that for any board.

I personally got an Asus board which came with the software Asus Probe that checks the temp but not sure one that will work with my cousins board.

VoG II 18:08 17 Feb 05

Try MBM Monitor click here

Pikachu 19:05 17 Feb 05

Hi VoG

Following your first advice,
"Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under Startup & Recovery click Settings. Under System Failure untick the box in front of Automatically restart."

The computer still reboots and an error in relation to the hardware might not be properly installed or BIOS requires updating appears.

Even with the old harddrive this use to happen so I cant see why it would give this error as I havent installed anything before. It was only until now I have installed a new harddrive because I thought it might have been this.

JonnyTub 19:18 17 Feb 05

I think your reboot is most likely down to the graphics card not being installed correctly. Download the latest drivers to see if this resolves the problem.

Failing that, an updated bios may be available for your motherboard.

Pikachu 19:27 17 Feb 05

It is on-board graphics and it dont have an AGP slot to upgrade the graphics and this is why I can't test if this is the problem :( As for the graphics drivers they are the latest ones. My suspicions are with the graphics as when trying to install windows it always suggested corrupted vga file.

I wanted to flash the BIOS but his floppy connector on his board has died so can't flash it this way :(

Going to pop down to cousins tomorrow to test his motherboard temperature with the software VoG suggested, if it is due to high temp whats recommended that I should do?.

Thanks for all your recent responses.

JonnyTub 19:36 17 Feb 05

Check the motherboard manufacturers website for mobo updates (including onboard vga).

woodchip 19:40 17 Feb 05

I think the computer is overheating

Pikachu 19:43 17 Feb 05

Whats the normal temp it should run at? its only a 1 ghz duron processor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…