p.c. keeps locking up

Kingfisher 09:30 28 Mar 05

I have a Dell 8300 series running xp home edition with sp2 installed. Recently I am having random freezes, it happens at boot up just as the welcome screen comes up and when the hour glass appears and before any desktop items appear it also seems to coincide with the floppy disk drive light coming on. I have tried disabling some start up items but it hasn't helped. Any ideas would be most welcome thanks

Taw® 09:46 28 Mar 05

Kingfisher could be a host of things and really only found by a process of elimination. PSU try unplugginhg some of the hardware such as cd drives etc and booting. Check on CPU temperature, ensure all fans are working, give inside case a dust. Reseat grahics card and memory chips. Sorry to be so vague, and I am sure others will appear with other areas to check and eliminate.

Paranoid Android 11:05 28 Mar 05

Sounds like a piece of faulty hardware, perhaps an intermittent fault. In additon to Taw®'s excellent advice, check your floppy cable is properly seated. In fact, remove it completely and see if that helps.

You could also try starting in safe mode and see if that works.

Marvin

smokingbeagle 11:50 28 Mar 05

Run Ccleaner
click here
and
RegSeeker
click here
Defrag your registry with
click here
and compact the registry with
click here

Your problem may well be hardware related as others have suggested but the above has been good practise for trouble-free running for me.

Kingfisher 13:30 28 Mar 05

Have tried most of your suggestions, not sure how to check cpu temp or what it suppose to be,
but p.c. not freezing up so may have cured it,
thankyou all for your suggestions

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…