PC keeps getting infected with dropper virus

Dutchy11 13:21 15 Nov 04

Hi

My PC keeps getting infected with dropper virus (of various forms) and other "downloader" types. I have switched off system restore and run AVG which "appears" to rid myself of them but they return soon after. I have tried turning off sys restore and running AVG in safe mode too.

I have XP SP2, broadband, with MSN Messenger active and the pc also has vnc server running - but the XP firewall is up - with the port for the VNC configured.

How are these things getting onto my PC ?

Any ideas?

All advice greatfully recieved!

Chris

john-232317 13:32 15 Nov 04

Have you got AVG 7, if not download it and try that.It will take AVG 6 off as it installs 7.

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:40 15 Nov 04

Turn off system restore, reboot, turn back on. Start-accessories-system tools-system restore tick 'turn off system restore'. After rebooting do the same but untick the box to turn it back on.

G

Sethhaniel 14:14 15 Nov 04

found and destroyed 2 viruses in two different restore points and all without turning system restore off -
So if you don't want to lose your valuable restore points maybe AVG have finally got it right

I actually fixed my System restore folder with a 'tweak' so it is unhidden and Anti-Virus progs have full access -

john-232317 14:51 15 Nov 04

so whats the tweak ???

Sethhaniel 15:00 15 Nov 04

click here

How Do I see the Security Tab in XP Home?

;)

john-232317 20:48 15 Nov 04

Cheers mate might give it a try later. but first i have to sort out my admin folders.

Due to a re-install I have two administrators, two all users, and one John folder ?? ;-(

Sethhaniel 08:44 16 Nov 04

When I ran it - it came up with an error message something like no NT4 pack installed or something like that - so I thought it hadn't worked - but when i looked later it had done its job ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…