PC keeps freezing up nigtmare

sunny staines 20:07 22 Jul 06

My PC keeps freezing up the task manager will not come up either during the freeze. the restart button gets the computer freezing again after clicking on account user. The turn off button to shut down the PC gets the PC up and running again sometimes for days sometimes for minutes. The start up runs very slow. I found that if I unplugged my Binatone USB and did a cold start plugging in the modem once up and running all would be ok for a while. Thinking that was the problem I replaced the modem with a speedtouch 330 but still have the same problem. & the unplugging the modem again enables me to boot up.

I have even did a reformat and reinstall of my XP and programs to no avail. On the last crash I had my first ever return from MS error reporting saying it may be my HP 2575 driver. This never came back on any of the previous error reporting and the printer/scanner works OK.

Any help offered would be very much welcome.

Running pent 630. 512 RAM, NVIDIA6600, AUDICY 2 SOUND.FOXCONN M/B.

Diversion 20:15 22 Jul 06

When you Reinstalled did you reinstall the Netframework too?

sunny staines 21:32 22 Jul 06

yes I have all the ms updates. [do I need Netframework? using a standalone PC]

also unplugged printer but makes no difference.

rdave13 21:43 22 Jul 06

Have you checked ram and psu?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:49 22 Jul 06

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

sunny staines 23:11 22 Jul 06

rdave13 & fruitbat

thanks for the reply

my system is a 2month barebones novatech system
1. does not appear to be overheating.
2. how do i check these.
3. no electrical items going on/off when freezes.
4. will give this a try tomorrow.
5. used nav,a2,ewido,cwshredder,spybot.ad aware, defender all ok.
6. have latest drivers for all bar the speedtouch modem using ver 2.01. latest ver 3.01 does not work on my system [will not download web pages after connecting]
sometimes go several days without a freeze but today its in double figures.

rdave13 23:26 22 Jul 06

Download everest click here click computer in left pane and click sensor.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:32 22 Jul 06

SIW click here

will also give readings of voltage and temperature.

"sometimes go several days without a freeze but today its in double figures."
Certainlty sounds heat related.

rdave13 23:56 22 Jul 06

Another good one is click here click on the tools tab and double click on "environment monitor".

sunny staines 09:31 23 Jul 06

thanks for the above.

Used sisoftsandra = CPU temp steady just above 30
board temp = high 30's. power unit spikes between 10 & min 30's.

Are these normal temps?

The various voltage readings are stable by the 5v spikes up and down. dont know what is normal or not.

last night PC would not connect to the internet, a restart resulted in frozen blank blue screens, gave up went to bed turned on this morning boot up ok so was internet. I have tried various front/rear usb ports to plug the modem with no result.

sunny staines 15:33 25 Jul 06

late update. had trouble getting restarted ran memtest86 = found faulty ram in test 8. drove down to novatech to exchange ram got stuck in hugh traffic jam in 32 degres got back home to find been given wrong memory although wrapper showed 512 the strip was just 256. waiting to see how things go now pc running in tracle at the moment with only half the ram.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced