PC keeps freezing up/locking up

bigb 22:14 08 Dec 04

My PC has recently started to lock out when Im using internet.

For no reason it locks up and nothing happens, keyboard mouse etc all stop working, only solution is to switch off.

Run pc with athlon 2500+ barton core chip, 512mb ram, 56k modem, 120gb hdd, xp sp2 and have fsecure firewall and antivirus etc etc.

Have run motherboard monitor and reports temps of around 30c for case temp and 38 to 44 for processor. Too high?

I am not very savvy re innards of pc but pc does run ok when not on net.

Firewall software is highly rated and I have no reported viruses etc.

Any help appreciated

canard 20:49 09 Dec 04

Try emptying temp internet files- remember to click the delete offline content tab then defrag. Also look at your start up list and see if your memory is getting overtaxed. Doubt if you need to run a firewall- Spywareblaster should be enough. Also run Spybot and Adaware to remove any spyware which may be gobbling up your memory.

Technotiger 21:06 09 Dec 04

Hi, your temperature is ok. But I would disagree with canard regarding firewall (all his other suggestions are fine - no offence canard), I, and I think most others consider firewall an essential when on the net. Do you use a cordless mouse? I ask this because I had similar problem to you, which was caused by my cordless mouse, no problems since changeing mouse. Cheeers.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:23 09 Dec 04

Repair Internet Explorer explanation
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…