pc keeps falling asleep?

dfghjkl 23:09 19 Jul 05

hello all,i have come across a problem that i have not had before.i have a pc (730mhz celeron,64mb ram)it had so much spyware etc on the hard drive that it would not even boot at one point,i managed to get it started eventualy but decided to reinstall,it had millenium edition on it but as it wont cope with xp i decided to put 98se on it but it would not recognise the floppy so i could not boot up.i then put in the m,e, disc and tried to format and reinstall,although it did not seem to format i was able to start installing millenium edition but it kept falling asleep,the pc would go quiet and stop but if i press the enter button on the keyboard the pc comes back to life but stops again after about 5 minutes,any ideas?i am stumped as to what to do next,what could be causing it?i have not managed to get all the way through setup without it locking up all together,any clues?thanks,peter.

Kev.Ifty 01:13 20 Jul 05

"Would not recognise the floppy"? Is the floppy drive at the top of the boot list in the Bios?

Can you get hold of another Win 98 'boot' floppy disc?

dfghjkl 18:16 20 Jul 05

hi,thanks for your response,i have checked the boot order in bios and it is ok.i have also tried other boot floppy,s.thanks,peter.

uisquebeathus 19:56 20 Jul 05

have you checked the power control settings in the bios, if you have reset the bios it may then set the power control to switch off or put it to sleep the pc at now disc action, if you go into the bios and dissable power settings

dfghjkl 21:04 21 Jul 05

thanks,i had not thought of that,i will give it a go.peter

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…