PC keeps disappearing!

griffo 08:50 01 Dec 08

I have added a new PC to my home network (all XP), after one PC died. The new PC can see the others and things like file syncronisation programs work but the other PC's can't see the new PC.

Most of the time, it doesn't show in 'my network places' or 'view workgroup computers'. I use Kaspersky 7 on each PC (did before the other PC died) and have disabled Windows Firewall accordingly.

Can anyone suggest where the problem lies please?

Rahere 17:13 02 Dec 08

Does your firewall hide the pc by default? Some firewalls will use stealth mode automatically

griffo 11:09 03 Dec 08

Thanks for the response. I will check with Kaspersky but I don't think so.

dawood 13:17 03 Dec 08

Test whether other PC can ping this new PC, if not I suspect there is firewall enabled on the new PC. Also if you enable file sharing on new PC, you can type \\new-pc-IP on file explorer's address bar of other PC to access it.

dawood
Home Network & Wireless Network Help click here

griffo 11:15 12 Feb 09

Can I re-open this thread, as the problem persists.

I can ping the new PC and exchange data to and from it but a lot of the time it doesn't show in 'my network places' on the other PC's.

Can anyone please suggest why this comes and goes please?

griffo 11:10 19 Feb 09

Doesn't anyone have an idea why this keeps happening??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…