amd 3800 x2
2gd 667mhz (cant remember the make)
8800gts 320mb (bfg i think)
250gb hard drive (5200rpm i think)
just the 1 dvd drive
400w power supply
fan for each graphics card and cpu
sorry about the dodgy spec, i cant quite remember some of the details

i use this pc mainly for gaming but also internet browsing and some media.
my problem is that my computer just shuts itself off at random. it seems to be completely random because sometimes it will do it once a day, other times it will do it about 10 times in an hour, and its not because of the gaming because sometimes it will do it loads just from browsing the net.
the computer sort of turns itself off but the lights are still on and everything, just nothing on the screen and no response. there is no warning beforehand.
the best i can come up with is a powersupply problem.
any help would be very much appreciated. thank you for reading :)

skidzy 17:11 01 Jan 08

Could be your psu failing as you suspect.

Remove this and give a good clean if clogged with dust etc.
Obviously remove the power from the wall !!!!

If the pc is under warranty,you may void the warranty if you open the case.

Have you tried Removing the graphics driver and reverting to an older version,if you have updated recently....it maybe a buggy driver.

Though i do also suspect the psu.

bretjones 17:22 01 Jan 08

i have not upated the driver for about 2-3 months so i dont think that would be it. i'll do as you say and give it a clean, i have not done so since i got the computer :(.
another thing, i just checked with ntune my temperatures, cpu and gpu are fine, but system if overheating at 47 degrees celsius when idle. im thinking this has something to do with it. i will post again once ive given the thing a clean. thanks for the advice.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:40 01 Jan 08

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

bretjones 10:13 03 Jan 08

ithink the psu was clogged up with dust, it hasnt crashed since i cleared it out, cheers guys.

legalrep 10:22 03 Jan 08

Strange but my machine started closing down the same New Years day! I did all the cleaning etc etc recommended on the forum by others but in the end I uninstalled my graphic drivers and reinstalled everything and it seems to have solved the problem (Nvidia) Might be worth a try. Download the latest drivers and see if that helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…