//some 3rd party need geo

PC Keeps Crashing

goonerjlf 14:19 08 Nov 05

I have a ten year old Dell running our Windows 98SE.

Can anybody please, please tell me why my egg timer has suddenly started continuously flashing and every 20 minutes or so the computed crashes and restarts itself?

woodchip 14:29 08 Nov 05

Take side of computer and check the small CPU FAN is turning freely, Also give it a blow do not use VAC.

Looks like the Computer is Over Heating

goonerjlf 21:40 09 Nov 05

No joy with that.

Any other ideas?

Why is the egg timer continuously flashing?

woodchip 21:46 09 Nov 05

Try going to My computer double click so you can see the C:\ drive right click it Properties\Tools run full Scandisk tick box to fix errors. Then put your Win98 CD in comp and in Run Box type SFC press enter then run the program to look for corrupt files

goonerjlf 11:40 10 Nov 05

Really appreciate your help, but I don't have the Win 98 CD you mention.

Is it still worth going down this route?

woodchip 16:01 10 Nov 05

Yes you can still have a go, as Win98 may have got backup files it can restore from

goonerjlf 18:45 11 Nov 05

Tried that. Seems to take an age, and before it finishes the computer restarts itself - as per the problem I'm trying to fix. Bloody frustrating.

Did get an interesting message though whilst waiting:-

"ScanDisk has restarted 10 times because Windows or another program has been writing to this drive. Quitting some running programs may enable ScanDisk to finish sooner. Do you want to continue receiving this message?"

Confused by this, as didn't have anything else open.

If anybody has any suggestions, I would be grateful. Otherwise, it's going on the bonfire this weekend and I'm off to PC World.

Thanks.

GaT7 18:50 11 Nov 05

For the Scandisk problem click here. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…