PC issues - caused by MS Update/Malicious srt?

5HAD0W 17:43 11 May 07

Hi all. Last time I used my PC I shut it down and installed updates. Now when I try to use it all kinds of things happen. The sound card does not appear to be recognised (ie i am told there is no mixer installed, also tracks in iTunes/Media Player do not play), despite chimes being played at logon, and my realtek sound demo working.

Also, I cannot get online through use of my wireless network (but I know the router is working).

Also, seemingly randomly during use, the PC taskbar, open program windows etc all look different, like older windows versions, or what it would look like had my PC booted in safe mode, but this usually reverts back to the XP style of its own accord!

Anyone have any ideas or solutions? Any help would be much appreciated.

I am running XP MCE with SP2, IE7 and Norton Internet Security 2007.

rawprawn 17:50 11 May 07

Could this be your problem?
click here

5HAD0W 17:55 11 May 07

I don't believe so, as a full system scan with Norton came up clean.

5HAD0W 18:29 11 May 07

I can now happily report that the problem seems to have been resolved and that it did indeed involve the Malicious Software Removal Tool.

Just as I was leaving the room I noticed some hard drive activity. Task Manager revealed mrt.exe was to blame. I decided to let things go on.

When I returned I was greeted with my logon screen and was then told my PC had been updated and restarted.

Everything appears to be working again and I have now learnt never to shut down and install!

Thank you for your time rawprawn and anyone else who had been investigating!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…