PC and Internet Security

I will soon be receiveing a new pc and would like to make sure i maintain it well and keep it safe.

What do i need to do this?

I don't have a great understanding of pc's so something simple would be preferable. As i understand it i would need an all in one program or seperate firewall virus protection etc.

Recently on my old machine i downloaded the free ZoneAlarm firewall and AVG Anti Virus Free Edition. It has also been suggested to me that i use a Firefox browser rather than IE to increase my protection. Are these sufficient?

What should i download or purchase to provide me with easy to use complete proection?

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:59 23 Nov 04

Yes they are more than sufficient. I would also suggest Adaware click here and Ccleaner click here.

G

Stuartli 11:59 23 Nov 04

ZoneAlarm is an excellent firewall (much better than the Windows equivalent); the same goes for AVG (now in Version7 form).

If you switch to Mozilla's Firefox browser and Thunderbird e-mail offerings, you will eliminate the constant requirement to keep on top of Internet Explorer's updating:

click here

Both operate and feel very similar to IE and OE in use.

bertiecharlie 12:27 23 Nov 04

Other free programmes to consider are, Spybot click here SafeXp click here WinPatrol click hereclick here ewido (you can keep the basic version after the trial period ends) click here

The other thing to consider is an imaging programme like TrueImage, (there are others), so that if it all goes pear shaped you can get out of trouble. Unfortunately, this type of programme isn't free.

SpywareBlaster click here is another free programme but if you are going to use Firefox then it would be of limited benefit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos