PC intermittent "Not Responding" episodes. Making me crazy.

mypcisdrivingmecrazyagain 05:16 27 Oct 14

I had a custom built Windows 7 Pro 64 bit PC built about 4 years or so ago by AVA computers. It's been a great machine.......however......in the past several months I have been having "not responding" problems. For example: I will be using Adobe Lightroom and after working for anywhere from 2 minutes to 2 hours without any problems the PC will freeze. At the top left of the Lightroom program (on the bar that runs across the top of the program) the words "not responding" will appear. Then nothing on the PC works. It just freezes. I can't click on anything. Nothing happens if I try to launch another program, if I hit control alt delete nothing happens. The cursor will still move around but clicking on anything gets nothing in return. After a minute or 2 or 3 if I click back on the screen in Lightroom it turns a see-through white color. From experience that tells me that it will be unfreezing in a few seconds or up to a minute or more. Then everything comes back to normal until the next "not responding" situation hits. Could be 20 minutes. Could be 3 hours. Could be 3 minutes. It's completely random when these things hit. It happens every single day several times a day. (incidentally....remember when I said I clicked on programs and hit control alt delete and nothing happened?.....well.....when the PC comes back to life all those things I clicked on a few minutes back now engage and "come on" all at the same time......it's like if one of the things I clicked on was Google Chrome browser then that will come on....albeit 3 minutes after I clicked on it) . By the way......I mentioned Lightroom as an example above but the problem happens with ANY software.

Waiting for these random "not responding" freezes to un-freeze can be maddening...especially when working on things that really matter. I have tried everything I know might help. I'm using Norton AV, Malwarebytes, I have run numerous diagnostic checks on the RAM, HD and system. Everything checks out OK. I have cut and pasted my PC build from AVA computers below.

I will do whatever it takes to fix this problem. If I need new hardware then I'll replace the parts. If anyone here can help me I would be extremely grateful to you. This thing is driving me out of my mind.

note All my drivers are absolutely up to date. No problems with out of date drivers.

• CUSTOM DESKTOP COMPUTER, Core™ i7 2-way SLI® DDR3 24GB Performance Series System

ANTEC, Performance One P183 Black Mid-Tower Computer Case, ATX, No PSU

ANTEC, Signature 650 Power Supply, 650W, 24-pin ATX12V EPS12V, One 6-pin + One 8-pin PCIe, SLI Certified

ASUS, P6T Deluxe V2, LGA1366, Intel® X58, 6400 MT/s QPI, DDR3-2000 (O.C.) 24GB /6, PCIe x16 SLI CF /3, SATA 3 Gb/s RAID 5 /6, HDA, GbLAN /2, FW /2, ATX, Retail

INTEL, Core™ i7-920 Quad-Core 2.66GHz, LGA1366, 4.8 GT/s QPI, 8MB L3 Cache, 45nm, 130W, EM64T EIST VT XD, Retail

NOCTUA, NH-U12P Copper CPU Cooler, Socket 1366

CORSAIR, 12GB (6 x 2GB) XMS3 PC3-12800 DDR3 1600MHz CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.65V SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC

GIGABYTE, GV-N96TSL-1GI, GeForce® 9600 GT 650MHz, 1GB GDDR3 1800MHz, PCIe x16 SLI, VGA+DVI, HDMI, Retail

WESTERN DIGITAL, 150GB (WD1500HLFS) WD VelociRaptor™, SATA 3 Gb/s, 10000 RPM, 16MB cache

WESTERN DIGITAL, 1TB WD Caviar® Black™ (WD1001FALS), SATA 3 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 32MB Cache

RAID, No RAID, Independent HDD Drives

LITE-ON, iHDS118 Black 18x48x DVD-ROM Drive, SATA, OEM

LITE-ON, iHAS324 Black 24x DVD±RW Dual-Layer Burner w/ Smart Erase, SATA, Retail

SILVERSTONE, SST-FP35 Black Internal 30-in-1 Card Reader & I/O Panel Device , 3.5" Bay, USB

MICROSOFT, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Edition, OEM

spuds 09:07 27 Oct 14

Depending on whether you have backed up your previous material, then perhaps try a restore point to see if that works.

You say that you have done a number of scans and checks, which I assume includes cleaning out cache etc in the browsers. If so, then a reformat might be in the thinking, but this will need all your previous items (drivers etc) handy for re-install.

Ian in Northampton 09:50 27 Oct 14

As spuds says: if you can back up all your personal data, and if you have the source media for all your software, and if you have the necessary drivers to hand, my temptation would be to start all over again by doing a fresh install of Windows. The symptoms, to me, are symptoms of software issues rather than hardware. You could try going back to a restore point, as spuds suggests, but I wouldn't be hopeful - but it's worth trying just in case it works, as it will enable you to avoid the hassle of a fresh install. Although Windows 7 is much better in this respect that XP, it is still the case that, over time, as more and more stuff gets added to a PC, it will slow down - and, in extreme cases like yours, pretty much grind to a halt.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now