PC - how long is its working lifetime?

isabella341 10:51 06 Sep 05

How long can I expect my new desktop PC to last? I've been told that some people change their computers every two years or so.

mattyc_92 11:01 06 Sep 05

In theory, forever. But in reality about 4-6 years (as technology is always changing and your system wont be compatible with most things in a few years)

bruno 11:02 06 Sep 05

It depends on your reasons for wanting to change.Many people have the same computer for as long as it will do the job it was bought for.Others change because they need more power or speed to do more demanding tasks.Others must have the latest computer/camera/watch/car,because they are there.I had my last computer for 6 years but with odd changes along the way there was none of the original one left,and it is not so expensive to keep pace with technology if you do it in easy stages.One thing is certain.Whatever you buy will be out of date before you get it home.

Diodorus Siculus 11:03 06 Sep 05

It will probably last for as long as it does what you want it to do.

Components may fail, but they can be replaced.

It is a bit like Trigger's sweeping brush that he has had for 19 years: 16 new heads and 7 new handles in that time.

I've got a PC for the last 4 years in which time it has had some upgrades (RAM, hard disk, soundcard) but the same mobo / processor because it still does all that I want it to do.

Gongoozler 11:04 06 Sep 05

Hi isabella341. You can expect a pc to last for many years. The CPU cooling fan may well get noisy after 2 -3 years and the hard drives may give problems after about the same time and both are easy to replace. However many computers keep soldiering on for 10 years or more. The main reason for changing computers more frequently is simply that the rate of progress in computer technology makes this years fastest and best computer outdated in only a couple of years. Unless you want to be able to always play the latest games there's no reason to replace the computer until it starts giving problems - which could be a very long time. I never buy new computers. My computer is an old 1995 Gateway 75M Pentium with a 1G hard drive, however over the years I have replaced so many parts in incremental upgrades that there is now nothing of the original computer left. I now have a 1.6G Duron and 80G of hard drive, and everything else has been replaced on the way.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:41 06 Sep 05

Still use 286 "laptops" (they are bigger than my current tower PC) at work these are circa 1989 and are required to access another CPU on a locomotive.

So with care will last as long as you need it to.
Some of us still remember before it became a throw away society.

Chegs ® 11:50 06 Sep 05

I never throw away old PC equipment.If its unable to run modern software(XP,etc)I shove it to one side for days when I feel like a foray into the "geeks world"(Linux)as I have linux distros that can be installed onto 500Mb Hd's with 75Mhz CPU/16Mbs EDO RAM,etc and still give acceptable performance.

Diodorus Siculus 12:21 06 Sep 05

Chegs ® - what distro is that? I'd be interested in setting one up on an old pc. Suse9.3 needs a bit of power, I'm afraid.

Gaz 25 12:25 06 Sep 05

Hmm, a minimal install of slack? debian? bsd maybe?

Chegs ® 12:30 06 Sep 05

I have Suse 5.3 from an old coverdisk,there is also the option of a minimal install(as Gaz25 says)of some more uptodate distros,MDK 9 offers mini install of 450Mbs(ish)

Diodorus Siculus 12:35 06 Sep 05

OK - thanks. I've got a PII - 550 which I'm thinking of making into a firewall and will take it from there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…