PC with Hi-Fi Speakers?

gplatt2000 17:29 09 Mar 04

Hi all. I'm thinking of getting this MSI barebones PC - click here

but need to know something. As this can be used as a stereo, I want this to be my main stereo. I am also getting some new hi-fi speakers, (wharfedale Daimond 8.1), but would first like to know - is there a way of conecting these speakers to the pc? Rather than using some PC multimedia speakers i really wait to use these 'proper' hi-fi ones, but looking at MSI's site I cant see how the speakers would plug in?

Any comments greatly appreciated

Stuartli 17:32 09 Mar 04

Your computer system would (almost certainly) not be able to drive the speakers - you will need to connect your sound card's audio output to your hi-fi amplifier and use them that way.

By the way Scan of Bolton sells both the Asus and MIS BareBones systems:

click here

Kinder Scout 17:36 09 Mar 04

You will need an amplifier click here

Sir Radfordin 18:28 09 Mar 04

If the PC has a soundcard then you can connect any speakers you like to it but you may have a problem with connections. I've changed 2 of my Creative 5.1 speakers for normal hi-fi speakers (nothing fancy mind!) and just used a phono lead to stripped cable and it works fine.

gplatt2000 22:06 09 Mar 04

Thanks a lot for thhe answers, Ive had a quick look at amps and they dont seem as pricey as I thought, but Id still like to run the speakers form the PC - Sir Radfordin - which hole would I have to put the wires into?

Stuartli 08:56 10 Mar 04

You are very likely to have problems driving hi-fi speakers from a computer system unless you link them via a proper amplifier.

Some hi-fi speakers require very powerful amps to get the best out of them and also high quality leads - I use mains cable for mine to drive them properly.

The connection to your hi-fi amp would be very simple from your soundcard using phono leads.

The soundcard manual will detail which socket to use (if it's a Creative the correct manual can be downloaded from its website very quickly and saved for future reference).

Have a look at Richer Sound if you decide to buy an amp:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…