PC Health Check

kumarisblue 11:58 10 Mar 05

Can anyone give me some advice please? I have been 'cleaning up'a friends machine that has been running sluggishly for a while. I have installed and run through the following: Avast,Spybot S & D, Adaware, Zone alarm and CCleaner. Lots of viruses etc have been removed. Are there any other utilities that I can use to enhance system performance and clean up rubbish held on the system? Is there any other check that I need to do before I return machine? Advice really appreciated...thanks

MichelleC 12:05 10 Mar 05

Another av check would be best. An online one here click here And SpywareBlaster keeps nasties at bay click here

EdFrench 12:09 10 Mar 05

Without spending money on software solutions you can start by doing a general clean up.

Use the disk cleanup utilities to the full.
Start>Accessories>Sytem Tools>Disk Cleanup.

Remember to open the advanced tab and delete 'All but the most recent restore points'

Delete all .tmp files, Temp internet files etc.

There are some free clean up utilities knocking ablout on the net which will clean up the registry but for the life of me I can't think of any right now.
I'm sure somebody will come up with a few in a very short while.

Stuartli 12:47 10 Mar 05

This is Microsoft's guide to optimising XP:

click here

plus a general allround look:

click here

kumarisblue 13:50 10 Mar 05

Brilliant help....thankyou!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…