PC having trouble starting up

mogwai 19:29 01 Jan 05

Hi, my PC seems to struggle when i first turn it on, it powers up but after a second or so it beeps then the HDD light falshes red and it carries on beeping at me, it can take up to 30 or 40 times of switching off and switching on again before the thing starts up correctly!!! Im now hesitant to turn my PC off at all in case it wont start up the next time.
Does this mean my hard drive is on the way out or could there be some other problem?

Technotiger 19:33 01 Jan 05

Hi, the beeps are a code - you should only hear one beep on normal start-up, this means all is well with drives. More than one beep means trouble, depending on number of beeps. Next time count the beeps and then someone may be able to help you. Cheers.

ACOLYTE 19:39 01 Jan 05

click here

This may help with the beeps go to your bios type and check what they mean.

woodchip 19:42 01 Jan 05

One and two short are Graphics, if more suspect memory

JIM 20:31 01 Jan 05

Your comment"carries on beeping at me" and woodchip suspect memory take me back to the time when i had similar symptoms.In my case it was just a matter of reseating my memory more firmly.Give it a try first they can work loose. (at the same time check the rest of your cards/hardware.

ACOLYTE 20:36 01 Jan 05

Takes me back to my KS75A days when the mobo used to beep twice at start up witch was normal for that mobo.When i first heard it i paniced and thought it was broke.What mobo have you got?

freaky 21:02 01 Jan 05

Try a few elementary things first: -

(1) Double click on your Hard Drive (C)
(2) Right click and select 'Properties'
(3) Select 'Tools'
(4) Click on 'Error-Checking' and follow the instructions.
(5) Once the Error-Checking is done then proceed to steps (1) (2) (3) and select 'Defragment Now'.

Doing all of the above and getting satisfactory results, should indicate if your Hard Disk is OK or not.
If you still have a repeat of the problem, then return to the Forum.

Hope this will help you.

Technotiger 21:10 01 Jan 05

Me again - thinking 'elementary', open up case and double check all connections, including re-seating memory modules. A loose connection somewhere could also cause the beeps.

mogwai 23:54 01 Jan 05

OK ill try it guys thnx for your speedy responses, itll have to wait till tomorrow but ill keep this thread open and let you know how it goes :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…