PC has died - help!

3rdday 21:08 17 Nov 03

My PC has crashed. The screen is completely black - no error message. If I reset it, it doesn't come up and the screen usually remains black, except occaisonally the CPU setup screen appears. The message at the side says something like "As you have installed a new CPU ...". In this case, if I save and exit, the PC still doesn't come up and the screen remains black with no further messages. Has my processor died?

DieSse 21:55 17 Nov 03

Might be the processor, might be the motherboard, might be the battery on the motherboard, might be a RAM module.

With the mesage you are getting I would be inclined to suspect the motherboard.

First try taking out the processor and RAM and refitting them. Also check all the power plugs are firmly fitted, especially the one to the motherboard.

3rdday 22:40 17 Nov 03

The system is now up and running, but with the processor running at 1300Mhz instead of the previous 1733Mhz. Has remained up for nearly an hour now. If I need to check the plug fittings later, is the CPU a simple push fit? (Athlon XP 2100+)

woodchip 22:44 17 Nov 03

Go into BIOS at Startup and check it's running at 133 Frequency FSB

DieSse 23:18 17 Nov 03

"The system is now up and running"

What did you do to get it like that?

Did it simply start workng? - If so it could have been overheated.

3rdday 23:36 17 Nov 03

I didn't do anything, except leave the processor speed at 1300Mhz and not try and change it back. Perhaps it did overheat. Don't know why it would, though - the PC is well ventilated.

VoG II 23:39 17 Nov 03

So you overclocked it then wonder why it won't work? Or am I getting confused?

3rdday 23:48 17 Nov 03

No, I didn't overclock it. It is an Athlon XP 2100+, which normally runs at 1733Mhz. It seems to have decided all by itself that it now wants to run at 1300Mhz.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…