Pc has become very sluggish

dkuk2000 11:08 23 May 06

my pc has started to take ages to get off the xp page to login page while booting.
When it does finally finish booting it seems very sluggish while i use programmes,i did a clean install back in march so it's pretty up together and not full of crap.
I use avg,zone alarm,spybot and adaware,i have no virus and spyware issues that i know of,any suggestions ?.

o/s win xp home,p4 processor 2.2Ghz,256mb ddr sdram.

Belatucadrus 11:40 23 May 06

Check the memory is operating at the correct speed If you've got PC2700 operating at PC1600 speeds that would choke the system.

dkuk2000 11:43 23 May 06

at the risk of being laughed at how do i check the memory ?

Belatucadrus 12:00 23 May 06

click here Run Everest, Try looking at Motherboard/SPD to see what memory you've got then Run the memory benchmarks to confirm that it's operating at the correct speed. If not, you may need to check out the MOBO manual to see if anything can be done in the BIOS.

dkuk2000 12:12 23 May 06

Thanks Belatucadrus
All seems fine with the memory,guess i will have to keep looking into it.

De Marcus™ 12:21 23 May 06

Check your startup entries and remove anything you don't need. Also, you should run a program like click here to clean out the crud once in a while.

gudgulf 12:45 23 May 06

Try booting into safe mode.......tap F8 or F5 whilst it boots and choose Safe Mode from the boot menu.

This loads Windows wothout all the startup programs and drivers.If it is much quicker to boot you have narrowed down the problem to a software one.

Since it is taking time to reach the login screen I suspect there is a problem with one of your drivers.Your start up programs will only load when you log in to Windows.

When you reinstalled did you update/reinstall the motherboard/graphics and sound casrd drivers?

Have you recently changed any of the drivers or updated Windows prior to the problem?

Have a look in Device Manager....Start>right click on My Computer,choose peperties from the menu and then select the Hardware tab and finallt click on Device Manager.

Look for any yellow warning triangles and report back.

dkuk2000 21:55 23 May 06

I uninstalled my old dial up modem and also removed rundll32.exe nvqtwk,nvcpldaemon initialize from the startup menu.
This seems to have speeded it up a bit.

dkuk2000 23:00 20 Jul 06

just to update the situation

I had the hdd checked and it was running at only 13% so i replaced it with a new one and problem solved,the pc is booting and running at lightning speed again.

Thanks for your suggestions

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5