PC hangs when cd inserted

Billsmore 23:08 17 Aug 06

This problem seems to be getting worse - most times I put a cd/dvd in one of the drives the pc hangs, no mouse movement and no response to CTL ALT DEL, the drive refuses to open and only way out is power off/on. Have checked cables and connectors for my DVD RW and DVD ROM all appears ok. Tried with a USB External DVD RW - same result. All equipment appears to run ok in my other PCs. Running on Windows XP Pro with all updates and all Virus and spy/malware checking ok.
Would be grateful for any thoughts/advice

Cheers

terryf 23:12 17 Aug 06

Have you tried going to My computer>properties>hardware>device manager and uninstalling the DVD drive then re-boot and let Win find the drive and re-instal it

jimv7 08:11 18 Aug 06

Try autoplay fix from microsoft click here

Billsmore 09:31 22 Aug 06

Sorry I haven't replied quicker. I retried the drivers fix - no good and also the autoplay fix didn't work. Still open to any suggestions

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:14 22 Aug 06

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete

sfc /scannow problems
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…