PC hangs-what to try next?

rickd 20:49 09 Jul 07

I have fairly high end year old PC (4800 AMD dual core, 2G RAM, high end graphics, 2 HDs etc) running XP, which has started to hang when I run even basic tasks (e.g add/remove progs, system restore etc), task manager shows no CPU usage, and it won’t shut down (not responding) although it boots happily, and I can usually access the internet once, download mail etc before it hangs and I have been able to copy data files to my external drive before it stops. Suspecting a software problem I uninstalled any apps I have recently installed (including diskeeper, google desktop) or have updated before it hangs but to no improvement. I ran disk check with no problems reported or improvement. I’ve run registry mechanic and CCleaner and a Norton spyware/virus scan. In safe mode, everything seemingly runs OK, but going back to pre-problem system restore points does not do the trick either. I can't get Acronis true image to play ball either. So I did a clean install of Windows onto my second hard drive, which loaded OK and boots fine, but then that freezes when I try to run anything. So now I’m beginning to suspect it’s a more serious hardware error, as the new install only has the basic/default drivers installed so far so don’t think its that. But maybe again the two are not related? Any ideas on what to try next?

daxian 21:18 09 Jul 07

hi rickd.....
sounds like an overheating problem to me ....check cpu fans for dust ...then check the bios / health status for cpu temps ...Dave.

sunny staines 21:20 09 Jul 07

may have a hardware fault run memtest86 on a floppy to test your ram for faults.

could be pc is overheating, take side panel off place large desk fan blowing cold air into pc see if it then runs ok, if it does your system is overheating. look at you fans or possible failing psu.

rickd 21:28 09 Jul 07

I wonderd about that, but all fans are clean (there are several), and cpu temps look normal (there's a temp gauge on the box) but that may not be telling the truth of course.
I'm now getting a message from Windows saying the hardware has changed significantly (not my doing!) and I need to reactivate within 3 days, though it won't actually let me. Is this a sign that the hardware is on its way out, or because I've loaded windows twice??

skidzy 21:35 09 Jul 07

Memtest bootable cd,direct download click here
just burn to disc,insert the disc and reboot the pc.

What os XP or Vista ?

skidzy 21:37 09 Jul 07

Sorry just noticed xp..Doh !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5