PC Hangs on startup

algernonymous 12:18 28 Jan 11

I recently had to change a hard drive on a PC and did an XP OS install on it, however on switching on and reaching the windows screen, I get one click to do something, then after that it just hangs. I'm trying to run AVG but when I right-click the icon I just get the cursor change to the egg-timer. It'll move about the screen but I'm unable to do anything.
I had 4 exclamation marks after OS install in Device Manager, all under Other Devices, these were for the network adapter, for which I added the driver and it is now ok, the remaining three are PCI Device, SM Bus Controller, and Video Controller.

Any help please?

GaT7 12:36 28 Jan 11

You need your motherboard chipset drivers, & also drivers for the PCI device (could be related to a card installed in a PCI slot) & your graphics card drivers (could be integrated or dedicated graphics).

So start by telling us your motherboard make & model, & the details of the PCI card & graphics you have installed. G

GaT7 12:39 28 Jan 11

Oh, is this for the HP PC? Sorry, I didn't realise it was you! G

GaT7 12:43 28 Jan 11

If the same HP PC (we were discussing at click here), then these click here should do.

Set a manual System Restore point before installing them. G

algernonymous 13:03 28 Jan 11

Yes, sorry crossbow, its the same HP PC...

Which drivers do I need from the link you provide?
ie, for the 'SM Bus Controller' and 'PCI Device'? There is no card in any slot, all sockets are on the motherboard.

Thanks.

GaT7 13:09 28 Jan 11

Then the Chipset & Graphics ones will do. If not, get back.

Also, don't forget Windows Updates click here.

Did you have to reinstall XP again??

Good afternoon by the way :-), G

algernonymous 13:41 28 Jan 11

And good afternoon to you to!

No, I didn't reinstall XP but maybe....

Ok thanks, I have to go out now, will continue tonight.

Why do I keep getting logged out of PCA every 5 mins? It's so annoying.

algernonymous 21:14 29 Jan 11

Well, having had problems trying to load those drivers due to the 'one-click-only' limitation, I decided to start again and reinstall XP.
The OS install went fine, I installed all chipset, graphics and network drivers, each restart was going fine, I connected to the internet, downloaded all Windows updates, then AVG and Spyware Terminator, then I thought to check what Service Pack it was (doesn't Windows Update check this?) and it was SP2. So I went to SP3 download page, clicked to download the file, and nothing happened.
Just got the eggtimer again. Tried a few reboots but same again.

algernonymous 21:14 29 Jan 11

Well, having had problems trying to load those drivers due to the 'one-click-only' limitation, I decided to start again and reinstall XP.
The OS install went fine, I installed all chipset, graphics and network drivers, each restart was going fine, I connected to the internet, downloaded all Windows updates, then AVG and Spyware Terminator, then I thought to check what Service Pack it was (doesn't Windows Update check this?) and it was SP2. So I went to SP3 download page, clicked to download the file, and nothing happened.
Just got the eggtimer again. Tried a few reboots but same again.

rdave13 21:25 29 Jan 11

Let windows update to SP3 when all the appropriate updates have been installed. Always a good idea to limit the amount of Windows updates to install to about 10 at a time. Some require reboots at installation. Now you're up to speed with the updates then a few more reboots might let you install SP3. Take your time and just boot up the PC as you would in normal usage.

GaT7 14:46 06 Feb 11

All OK now algernonymous? Not heard from you in a while. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…