PC Hangs at Random (3)

morddwyd 09:11 09 Nov 09

So where do I go from here?

I've now done a clean install on a clean formatted disc.

All USB devices disconnected, optical drives unplugged, memory chips tested one at a time, CPU temp monitored.

Still get random hangs - sometimes during POST, sometimes during boot, sometimes after an hour or three, no pattern as far as I can see.

Any ideas?

Graphicool1 09:18 09 Nov 09

Have you installed the chipset drivers?

Graphicool1 09:19 09 Nov 09

What motherboard have you got?

morddwyd 09:35 09 Nov 09

Asus M2N4 SLI running Win 7 Home Premium.

Nvidia nForce drivers have been updated.

Graphicool1 10:22 09 Nov 09

"Nvidia nForce drivers have been updated"

But what about the mobo chipset drivers. You should have reinstalled them, these are what pulls everything together.

The drivers should be installed in this order...
Chipset Drivers, then Graphics and Sound Drivers.
Followed by Windows Updates, Firewall, Anti-Virus etc.

click here
and click here

morddwyd 16:26 09 Nov 09

Sorry, Graphicool1, this does have a history

click here

and

click here

Most of the conventional, and some of the not so conventional, stuff has been tried.

Having eliminated the probable and the possible, I'm now considering the improbable and the impossible!

GaT7 17:16 09 Nov 09

Hmm, so this appears to be solely a Win7/related driver issue then, as you mentioned reinstalling XP without any of the problems.

So it cannot be hardware related, but is definitely software related.

What type of OS is it - 32/64-bit? G

morddwyd 19:37 09 Nov 09

32 bit installed at the moment, but I did try the 64 bit RC and if anything the problem was worse. (Tried to install the retail 64 bit, but in three attempts it actually hung during installation so I gave up!)

If it's software we've got to be looking at the graphics card or something else that loads before the o/s, since it sometimes happens during POST.

This is a self build (three years old with no problems) so there is no built-in manufactuer's bloatware to condider.

morddwyd 19:38 09 Nov 09

or even consider!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…